Office of the Governor
County Government of Kericho
The offices of the Governor and Deputy Governor are a creation of the constitution of Kenya, 2010 as per Article 179(2).
The Governor is elected by the voters registered in Kericho and is the Chief Executive Officer of the County Government of Kericho (Article 179 of COK, 2010).
The office of the Governor is mainly responsible for the following functions as provided for in Articles 174 and 183 of COK, 2010.
- Diligently execute the functions and exercise the authority provided for in the Constitution and legislation;
- Perform such state functions within the county as the President may from time to time assign on the basis of mutual consultations;
- Represent the county in national and international fora and events;
- Appoint, with the approval of the County Assembly, the County Executive Committee in accordance with Article 179 (2) (b) of the Constitution;
- Constitute the County Executive Committee portfolio structure to respond to the functions and competencies assigned to and transferred to each county;
- Submit the county plans and policies to the County Assembly for approval;
- Consider, approve and assent to bills passed by the County Assembly;
- Chair Cabinet Meetings of the County Executive Committee;
- Assign to every member of the County Executive Committee, responsibility to ensure the discharge of any function within the county and the provision of related services to the people, by a decision notified in the county gazette;
- Submit to the county assembly an annual report on the implementation status of the county policies and plans;
- Deliver annual state of the county address containing such matters as may be specified in county legislation;
- Sign and cause to be published in the County Gazette Notice. All important formal decisions made by the Governor or by the County Executive Committee;
- Provide leadership in the management of the affairs of the county;
- Ensure implementation of County and other national legislation, as may be required;
- Initiate the formulation and implementation of policies;
- Oversee the decentralization of services to the extent possible;
- Promote democratic and accountable exercise of power;
- Ensure participation of the people in decision-making;
- Mainstream the interests and rights of the people;
- Identify bottlenecks to implementation of policies and programs; and providing solutions;
- Initiate and coordinate financial support for development projects and programs; and Initiate and coordinate implementation of the County’s projects and programs.